Because of its sparkly appearance, exceptional durability, and similarity to diamond, moissanite is one of the most sought-after and budget-friendly options for rings and other jewelry. However, even something as sparkly as moissanite can get dirty and faded if not cleaned and maintained regularly.
Moissanite is considered a low-maintenance gemstone due to its nature to repel dirt and grimes. Still, it also needs cleaning from time to time to prevent forming film on the surface or getting cloudy and greasy over time. Cleaning moissanite jewelry is pretty easy, and most can be done at home.
Here are some of the easiest and most effective ways to clean moissanite ring.
Table of Contents
- clean moissanite ring with household Products
- Commercial Jewelry Cleaning Products
- Things to Avoid
- Frequently Asked Questions
clean moissanite ring with household Products
Water and Dishwashing Liquid
One of the easiest and most cost-effective methods of cleaning your moissanite ring is your household dishwashing liquid and warm water.
- Mix a few drops of dishwashing liquid with warm water in a small bowl.
- Place the moissanite ring in the bowl and leave it for a few hours or overnight.
- Scrub the ring with a soft-bristled toothbrush, and make sure you reach all the dirty corners.
- Gently wash with clean water. Make sure you get rid of all the soapy solutions. Then dry it with a soft, lint-free piece of cloth or air dry it.
- You can use a polishing cloth to give it extra shine and smoothness.
Precautions: Do not use boiling water. It might damage the ring.
Water and Ammonia
Another great household product for cleaning moissanite rings is ammonia. It is safe and effective and causes no damage to the jewelry.
- Mix ⅓ part of ammonia with ⅔ part of water and mix it thoroughly.
- Soak the ring in the solution for 10-20 minutes.
- Clean the dirt from the ring with a soft toothbrush.
- After it’s cleaned, rinse the jewelry under running water and air dry it or use a blow dryer.
Precautions: Do not use harsh chemicals like soap, household detergents, or chlorine. Soap and detergents may create an additional film over your moissanite ring or add to the grime and make your jewelry even dirtier. Chlorine may damage the metal ring and weaken it.
Also Read: How to clean hematite the right way?
Commercial Jewelry Cleaning Products
If your moissanite ring hasn’t been cleaned for a long time, formed a cloudy film, or developed oil stains and needs a deep cleaning, usual household cleaning products are not going to have a satisfactory result. In that case, you can use a commercial jewelry cleaner. Any good quality diamond or gold jewelry cleaner will be sufficient. It commonly can be found in two forms, liquid and paste.
- Buy a safe, non-toxic, non-corrosive chemical if it is a liquid cleaner.
- Pour the solution in a small bowl, soak your ring in the cleaning solution, and wait for 5-30 minutes, depending on the grime level.
- If it is a paste formula, apply an adequate amount on the surface of the ring with a clean piece of cloth, rub gently all over and wait a few minutes.
- In both cases, use a soft-bristled brush to scrub all the films and grimes off of the ring. Make sure you reach every corner. Be careful around the prongs, and make sure the stone does not fall out.
- Wash with water and make sure all the dirt and stain are gone. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
- Wipe and dry the ring with a lint-free cloth.
This is the most effective way to deep clean a moissanite ring. It is the professionally used method to clean moissanite jewelry before selling it to a customer. It creates super high-frequency turbulence, which cleans the ring thoroughly by getting rid of all the dirt. Moissanite’s durability makes it a perfect candidate for ultrasonic cleaning. The process is pretty easy too. You can take your ring to a professional or get the machine and clean it yourself at home. Ultrasonic cleaning machines are easily available online.
- Get an ultrasonic machine for cleaning jewelry.
- Fill it with a cleaning solution.
- Place the ring into the solution and close the lid.
- Three minutes inside the machine is enough to eliminate all the dirt and grime.
- Wait another few minutes for the solution to cool down, then take the ring out and wash and dry it properly.
In addition to all these cleaning methods, get your ring cleaned professionally once or twice a year to check and maintain your ring’s integrity.
Moissanite Oil Slick
It refers to the accumulation of oil and grime on the surface of your moissanite ring and forming an oily rainbow stain due to prolonged use. And the best way to get rid of this oil slick is to use silver polishing cream. Apply the cream to the surface of your ring and use a soft toothbrush to get off all the oil. When it is completely cleaned, wash it off with clean water.
Things to Avoid
- Avoid wearing your jewelry while playing sports or exercising. Though it is very durable, a hard blow or clash with hard objects may damage it.
- Avoid wearing your ring during swimming, especially in a swimming pool, as the chlorine in the water may damage or discolor the ring setting.
- Do not store the moissanite ring with other jewelry as it may scratch or damage other softer jewelry. Instead, place them in soft pouches or fabric-lined jewelry boxes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I clean my moissanite ring?
-If you only wear your ring occasionally, cleaning every 6 months is sufficient. However, if you wear your ring regularly, grime and dirt accumulate faster, so it should be cleaned at least once a month.
Can I wear my moissanite ring every day?
-Moissanite is a highly durable gemstone, only next to diamond. They are a 9.25 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness, while diamond is a 10. That’s why it’s perfectly safe to wear your moissanite ring daily.
Is moissanite a fake diamond?
-Moissanite is a simulant of diamond made of silicon carbide. It is so similar to a diamond that a diamond tester can’t detect the difference. It was first discovered in a meteorite, and that’s why it is called Space Diamond or Star Dust.
In conclusion, with all its quality, moissanite is a low-maintenance gemstone. So a small amount of regular care would be enough to maintain its integrity and sparkly appearance.