What is Chest piercing?
As clear with the name Chest piercings are dermal piercings just above the sternum or chest area. They are thus also known as pre-sternum or Chest Dermal Piercings. It lies in the central region on the breastbone below the neck. This type of body piercing gradually gained popularity among people as they find it to be different and unique liked by both males and females equally. However, it is generally known as Cleavage Piercing for females. Its orientation is either vertical or horizontal depending on the choice of the individual.
The location is very crucial, so it is advisable to carry out the piercing process at a well-known reputed parlor. The standards for clean and hygienic surroundings should match the expectation. Also, take advice on whether it is suitable for your anatomy as it is important that there is some loose skin in the region to get these piercings.
- Clean the chest area with an antibacterial solution to disinfect it.
- Mark the point carefully using a surgical needle
- Insert a thin hollow needle to make the hole in the chest region.
- Place the jewelry in the perforation.
The pain of Chest or Cleavage piercing
The pain reports reveal that surface chest piercings are slightly more painful as compared to any other surface piercings due to their location and although some even rate it to be moderate. It entirely depends on the individual’s pain tolerance capacity. Some swelling, twinges, and redness can last for a few days.
Related: When Can I Change My Nipple Piercing
The dermal piercing can take 4 to 6 weeks to completely recover. It, however, depends majorly on maintenance and aftercare, because the infection can lead to prolonged healing.
Aftercare: Do’s & Don’ts
- Touch the piercings with clean hands disinfected with antibacterial soap.
- Pat the area dry with a clean paper towel after taking a shower.
- Dab the area with a swab of cotton soaked in the warm saline solution.
- Apply diluted tea tree oil on healed piercing may help prevent from the infections.
- Eat a healthy and nutritious diet rich in Vitamin B, C, and K
- Refrain from the use of cream, lotion, moisturizer, deodorant, or perfumes on the piercing.
- Play or fiddle with jewelry.
- Sleep on the front side.
- Going swimming or indulging in any water sports
- Wear tight clothes around that area. Rather, try wearing long or deep necks to prevent injuries from tangling of clothes.
Infections & Other Complications
- Severe pain and swelling
- A high temperature in the surrounding
- Pus discharge
- Foul smell
- Redness and rashes
- Do not remove the jewelry as it will clog the pore.
- Clean the area free of pus and other discharge.
- Use a cotton piece soaked in the warm saline solution and dab it on the infection.
- Consult a doctor and follow his advice.
Jewelry for Chest piercings
The chest or cleavage piercings can be adorned with various types of jewelry. Some choices famous among people are as below:
- Bead rings
- Surface bars
- Curved Barbells
- Skin Divers
The size of the ornaments in the initial phase should be 1.2mm to 1.4mm. After the wound recovers, the jewelry can be larger or smaller as per the choice. The material of the jewelry should ideally be Gold, Sterling silver, surgical steel, titanium, or niobium as they are hypoallergic and non-corrosive. They will not cause itching or irritation.
This body piercing is a variation of micro dermal piercing. The charges will fall in the range of $40 to $120 in any elite salon. The selection of jewelry can sway the prices.
Read also about: NECK PIERCING
1 thought on “Chest Piercing”
I can’t get a hold of my piercer because everything is closed. Can I send you a picture of my sternum piercing to look at for unofficial advice? I dont know if its rejecting of not. I got the piercing on the 6th of this month and it’s no healing well I dont think.