What’s Earlobe Piercing?
Earlobe piercing is a common piercing done on the earlobe which is the fleshy bottom part of the ear. You may remember your mommy taking you to a retail shop for your earlobe piercing. It is prevalent among girls to get their earlobes pierced at a very young age. It even hurts the least to prick this part of your ear!
Piercing Materials or Processes
- The conventional equipment used for earlobe piercing is a hollow needle or ‘cannula’ that removes a part of flesh from your ear. These are common in body piercing parlors.
- Apart from this, spring-loaded piercing guns also deploy for the same purpose that is loud and pierce your ear by shooting into the flesh.
- Hand pressing piercing instrument is in use nowadays that are precise and provide a smooth, quiet and gentle piercing.
Earlobe piercing pain
Unlike ear cartilage piercing, it is marked as one of the least painful ear piercings. However, the pierced area might undergo bruising, swelling, and bleeding for a few days during the healing process.
Ear lobe piercing healing time
The piercing region takes approximately 3 to 9 weeks for complete healing.
Is earlobe piercing aftercare different from other cartilage piercing aftercare?
Earlobe piercing aftercare is quite same as the other cartilage piercings. Here are some basic Do’s and Don’ts that you need to follow after your piercings.
- Clean your ear twice or thrice daily using sea salt solution or a cleanser like H2O Ocean.
- Eat chilled products like ice-cream, yogurt, frozen milk and food rich in Vitamin C. It will help in healing faster.
- Use clean towels and handkerchiefs.
- Showering is better than using bathtubs as the latter tends to harbor bacteria which may cause infections.
- Wash your hands before touching the piercing.
- Avoid the friction from clothing, excessive motion of the area, playing with jewelry and vigorous cleaning.
- Consume alcohol or spicy food.
- Use hair spray or hair dye near the piercing area.
- Remove the jewelry any time soon after the piercing, it will result in blocking.
What is normal after an Earlobe Piercing?
Initially, you can suffer from bleeding, localized swelling, tenderness or bruising. During the healing process, some seeping of yellowish-white fluid (not pus) is common that may form a crust on the jewelry. Don’t panic as it is quite common.
Types of Earlobe Piercing
It is a new twist in the old classics. With transverse lobe piercings, a barbell goes horizontally through the earlobe instead of from outside to inside.
The jewelry of this one is subject to the size of your earlobe.
Double & Triple Earlobe Piercing
To add up, you can go for the double or triple lobe piercing that is same as single lobe piercing. The only difference is that there will be two to three perforations in place of one.
Quadruple ear lobe piercing
Another type of multiple ear lobe piercing that involves placement of four piercings.
Upper earlobe piercing
The top section of the earlobe is perforated and decked with chick ear accessories.
Ear lobe piercing jewelry
An ideal spot for displaying a wide assortment of jewelry ranging from uniquely designed rings, circular barbells to studs and straight barbells, the pierced ear lobe should be carefully adorned with appropriate jewelry during the healing period to avoid unnecessary trauma. Once it heals properly, you can opt for the other choices.
Although the price of the piercing may vary according to the type of jewelry chosen, in most elite piercing studios it may cost you anywhere between $20 and $30.