What is Eyebrow piercing?
Eyebrow piercing is a vertical or horizontal surface piercing near or on the eyebrow. Punk Subculture introduced it in the 1970s as a fashion statement. From Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie to Korn front-man Jonathan Davis there are several musicians and even actors who have this piercing.
Procedure for an Eyebrow piercing
- Select a licensed piercing parlor that has experience in piercings
- Piercer may clean some part off the hairs from the eyebrows to make the piercing smooth
- He will make the area numb after that
- A twelve to eighteen gauge needle or ‘cannula’ is used to make a perforation on the skin
- For guiding the needle through the skin, Pennington clamp is preferable to keep the skin in place
- Jewelry will set in place after this.
Types of Eyebrow piercing
Vertical Eye brow piercing
It is the standard type of piercing made across the ridge of the brow. It can be done on either side and at any part of the eyebrows. The most common placement is at 35 degrees angle from the outside corner of the eye.
Horizontal Eye brow piercing
It is less famous than vertical piercing and is placed alongside the ridge of the eyebrow. The usual placement of the piercing is towards the outer corner of the eye.
More than one piercing if done across or along the ridge is usually known as Multiple piercing and includes Double Eyebrow Piercing and Triple Eyebrow Piercing. It can also be the combination of both vertical and horizontal piercings. “T” eyebrow piercings are a multiple eyebrow piercing that always stands out of the crowd.
Eyebrow Piercing Placement Risks
Ensure that the piercing takes place by complying with the safety procedure, then eyebrow piercing is generally safe. There are still some potential risks that follow and therefore it is advised to go to an authentic parlor to meet the purpose. A sterilized needle used in the piercing. There is also a risk of rejection if it is not deep enough. However, a shallow hole increases the chances of jewelry migration. There is also a chance of infection if you do not follow necessary aftercare after the piercing.
- Ensure that your hands are clean before touching the piercings.
- Take supplements like Zinc, Vitamin B and C to promote the healing process.
- Clean the area regularly with saline water using a cotton bulb. This minimizes the chances of an infection. Another cleanser like H2O Ocean is also fit to use.
- Do not clean the pierced area vigorously.
- Do not let the soap accumulate near the piercing while taking a shower.
- Avoid going for swimming or bathing in the bathtub as these harbor infection-causing bacteria in high numbers.
- Do not remove your jewelry soon after the piercing as it may block up the piercing.
It will approximately take 5-6 weeks to heal completely. However, before it repairs completely there may be some redness in the area and bruises might appear. Infections can prolong the healing period. In that case, consult a doctor.
Infections: Symptoms & Cure
Following are the symptoms of infected eyebrow piercing
- Excessive swelling, itching, and irritation in the piercing area.
- Redness may also accompany pain.
- Infection can also cause redness in eyes as it is very near to the eye area.
- Formation of pus is a sign of an infection.
- Healing an infection can take 2 to 3 weeks.
- Clean the area regularly with saline water.
- Take medicines as prescribed by the physician.
- Use clean towels and handkerchiefs to wipe the infected area.
If you want to have anti eyebrow piercing please read our anti-eyebrow piercing guide.
Eye-brow Piercing Jewelry
Curved or straight barbells, CBRs, Fixed bead rings, studs, spikes all go well with the eyebrow piercings. It depends on personal choice. The jewelry can be entirely metallic, or a combination of engraved stones in the metal piece.
CBRs- 16 to 12 gauge (initial stage)
Eyebrow Piercing Cost
A typical eyebrow piercing i.e. a vertical surface piercing can cost up to $20-$70. Depending on the cost of jewelry and choice of parlor the cost may vary.
1 thought on “Eyebrow Piercing”
I’m so very interested in body art… (I have 13 tattoos and 16 piercings)!As I was looking for instructions for the piercings, I happened upon your site. I’m so excited now because you all seem to have extensive knowledge of the subject matter and your content covers everything I need to know about each type of piercing I am trying to learn! Thank you guys SO much!!!