What is a helix piercing?
Piercing is not bound to any one of the sexes – both men and women can enjoy piercing. The most favorite part has been the ear; it has been popular in many parts of the world and even today people get their ears, noses, and helix pierced to wear jewelry. It is a part of both their inheritance and tradition. Not just in India and Nepal, but these practices are famous in the western part of the globe too. So, let’s get to know more about the Helix Ear Piercing so that if you ever decide, you shall know all about it beforehand.
In Helix piercing, the upper cartilage of the ear or the helix is perforated. Obviously, this is one to wear jewelry by both men and women. The procedure is exactly like all other body piercing – the earlobe is cleaned up and the needle is sterilized before inserting it into the cartilage. After perforation, the jewelry is slid in cleaning the blood. Now there is no definite way to measure how much this piercing hurts but it depends on your threshold for pain.
Bleeding is normal after the piercing and it shouldn’t raise an alarm. It is the responsibility of the professional to inform you about it. He shall give you a consent form in the very beginning and let you know how he will be performing the perforation. Instead of trusting him completely, you should ask him about the indicator slip to ensure the needle is clean and is safe to use. Whatever the case may be, don’t try to save money by going to a sub-standard studio. Not only will it give you a mediocre experience, but it will also increase the chances of an infection.
- The professional will clean the area with an antiseptic liquid.
- He will then carefully mark the spot for perforation using a surgical pen or marker.
- Taking a hollow needle, piercer will make a hole on the marked area.
- Insertion of jewelry in the perforated area will take place.
Helix Piercing Pictures
Helix Ear Piercing Tips
- Get your piercing done only by an expert
- In a busy studio, the professional won’t have free time to entertain you at your whims and fancy. So, make a prior arrangement and turn up right on time.
- Tie your hair in a ponytail so that it won’t hinder the procedure.
- Inform him where to pierce your cartilage and ask him to mark the spot. This will reduce the margin of error.
- Don’t try to move when he is perforating your ear – even a slight movement can injure your ear.
- If you have any doubt about the safety of the studio or the professional’s method, try another one.
Generally, it takes about 6 months to a year for a piercing to heal but it could recover completely in just 2 months. The swelling goes away in 2-3 weeks while the pain subsides in about 6-8 weeks. Proper aftercare can recover the wound much faster. Washing it with salt water two times a day with a cotton ball can save yours from discomfort and pain. Apart from that, mild soap and warm water will clean the area too.
Helix Piercing Risks
Helix piercing doesn’t have any great dangers. It is the only improper procedure, unsterilized needles and lack of aftercare that can impose serious health risks. Using guns to carry out the perforation is highly unapproachable. Health experts warn against it because it can shock your ear and smash the cartilage. Disfigurement of the ear, infection, and permanent damage are potential risks.
Helix piercing healing time
The piercing generally takes 3 to 6 months to heal.
Helix piercing pain
Does Helix Piercing hurt?
Well, Helix piercing is painful but not as much as Forward helix piercing. The pain experience can be more or less on individual pain tolerance level. But still it can get a rating of 6/10.
First of all, make sure the studio professional follows all safety measures – cleaning the needle, wiping off the blood and using the right way to make the perforation. Aftercare requires much attention.
- Use a clean towel to wipe off the affected area.
- Prevent the jewelry from tangling in hairs and clothes.
- Eat healthy foodstuff rich in Vitamin C to accelerate healing.
- Keep the area dry and airy.
- Touch the area with dirty hands neither play with the jewelry.
- Use any chemicals or beauty products on it.
- Clean it with Betadine Alcohol swabs and Tea Tree Oil.
- Take out the jewelry as it will close the piercing even if the area gets an infection. Leaving it as it is also helps in drainage of the infection out of the skin.
- Stay away from contaminated water and avoid swimming.
Helix Piercing Jewelry
Studs, barbells, CBRs are a common choice for Helix piercing. Some people may prefer to wear small hoops or curved barbells as per thier choice. The metal of jewelry selected should be non-corrosive and less reactive to avoid any itching or irritation. Titanium, Gold and silver are preferable.
Helix Piercing Cost
You must be wondering that How much does a Helix piercing cost?
The cost of the piercing is usually in a range of $20-$50. The prices may vary depending on premise and parlor popularity.